Okay… so it’s summer!
Stop complaining about the high temperatures and learn how to cope successfully. (Yes! It CAN be done!!!)
The last week of June brought with it soaring temperatures of over 38°C …
This is going to carry on for a few days still before the thermometer starts dropping a few degrees. Still … it’s summer, and we have all been waiting for it, longing for it … expecting it ….
So ….. why all the fuss now?
There are some basic things one can do to cope:
- Dress in light colors and loose clothing … forget about the tights and tight-fitting dresses.
2. Always protect your skin by wearing sunscreen; not only at the beach but all day long.
3. Wear good sunglasses; protect your eyes. Also, wear a hat or make the difference and hold a parasol – so chic!
4. Drink lots of water!!! Never be without a bottle of water … Flavor your water with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh mint if you like. I love filling a glass with flavored water and lots of ice-cubes.
5. Have your main meal after sunset when it’s cooler. Still, keep away from spicy food, red sauces and fried food.
6. Eat light meals; salads preferably. Add some protein and make a meal out of them. White beans, lentils, chickpeas, red broad beans or hard-boiled eggs.
7. Eat fruit! My favorite is watermelon which is basically 97% water – the king of summer fruit!
8. Limit exercise during the hottest hours – midday till around five o’ clock.
9. Take frequent cool showers or dips into a bathtub to lower your body temperature.
And finally …
10. Stop complaining and enjoy it!